Farrell's celebrates a significant milestone this year - Fifty years of continuous operation!. The First Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour opened on September 13, 1963. There has been a Farrell's operating somewhere in America ever since.
This site is dedicated to the history of an American Original. Learn all about Farrell's, from the first parlour (Portland, Oregon, 1963) to the most recently opened one (Riverside, California, 2012). If you want to discover other trivia items, click on the other Farrell's links to the left. Hey, you can even learn the words to the Farrell's Theme Song.
This site is developed with gratitude to the following:
- Bob Farrell - the namesake who developed the concept of a 1905 themed ice cream parlour.
- Ken McCarthy - the co-founder of Farrell's, who developed all those fountain concoctions you remember so well, and who developed the processes, procedures and structures that allowed the company to grow and prosper through the 1960's.
- The Kirin Group of California - this company rescued the concept from the abyss of the Marriott Corporation by purchasing the master development rights in 1996.
- Farrell's International - the current owner of the Farrell's trademarks and development rights operates four parlours in California.
- The Ortman's - they operated Farrell's in the San Diego area for 38 years (longer than anyone else, ever).
The information contained within is based on my data, experiences, and interviews with other Farrell's personnel. I do not claim that it is 100 percent accurate; it is based on the best available information that I have.
I do update this site on a periodic basis as new information, pictures, or corrections come up. Don't be a stranger, bookmark this site and stop back soon.